Back on schedule. New fiction out this week – looking forward to another new fiction and then back to updating courses. Lots of great work ahead…
“Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I’ll give you a man who will make history Give me a man with no goals and I’ll give you a stock clerk.” ~ J .C. Penny
Total Subscribers – 2516
Heritage Subscribers – 69
Veteran Subs – 368
IF Subscribers – 2343
New IF subs – 4
New Non-IF subs – 0
Webform Subs – 7
Inactive – 26
Still dwindling. Need to ramp up promotion to get subscribers from other areas.
Book Sales:Lulu’s payments finally showed up. More held yet, for some reason – probably they haven’t gotten paid.
- The Case of the Tenacious Typist
- Golden Slipper (and other problems for Violet Strange)
- Nelson S. Bond: Golden Age Space Opera Tales
Fiction Books In Progress:
- “Their Eyes” characters to establish: Felicity, Augie -> What Their Eyes See -> Book Five (Augie is next – this coming week.)
- Corona-Xi series and anthology – way back-burner now.
- Case of the Sand Dune Demise, Death and the Dreamcatcher > Book Five
- Book Four needs villain established.
- Two Ghost’s Salvation Book Two (series) -> Book Three
- Wolfer’s Nation -> Book Three
Non-Fiction Books In Progress:
- Get Everything You Want Out of Life Anthology
- PMA Science of Success Introduction – revision
- PMA Science of Success Complete Lessons
- Why Leftists Fail with Violence
- A Parody Outline of History (Parody/Satire – actually fiction)
- A book of talks by George Washington Carver
Courses in Progress:
- “PMA: Science of Success” (now in beta)
- “Strangest Secret” (now in beta),
- “Get Everything You Want Out of Life”, (now in beta)
- “If You Can Count to Four…” (now in beta),
- “Completely Change Your Life in 30 Seconds” – still in alpha.
- Common-Sense Marketing That Works – pre-alpha
- Raising Gentle Cattle – pre-alpha
- How to Write Less and Profit More – pre-alpha
- And some more that I already recorded for podcasts…
Did get that fiction book wrapped up – Friday. Then spent Saturday working on the Public Domain collections. And found where the other mystery books went to that I have covers for. Need to do both of those and courses all in the same week.
Farm is more or less getting under control. Renovations are on hold until I can get the rest of the supplies in – like a single box of screws. (Sheesh.) Have to unload a trailer of hay – but it’s inside the barn, so won’t get worse where it is. I have to get some fencing done to feed these cattle and save the grass I have elsewhere for winter. Got a calf this week, so that’s good news – about a month or two out of sync, but not too bad.
Here’s the analysis of that flawed TV series. “Scorpion” – it was good through the end of the third season. The two main characters finally admitted they were in love (and went to bed.) That was the romance story arc ending. Otherwise it was a procedural thriller every week. Straight out of the Lester Dent playbook. And that’s why it succeeded.
Then they dumped most of the thriller aspects in favor of hyping up the interpersonal elements. And so, they ended up with a tragic split in the last episode. The whole team fell apart, and started competing with each other. If that was a play to get a fifth season, it failed. I kept watching, wondering if the lovers would sort it out, but they didn’t – and it fell flat.
Someone either screwed up the writers, or the executive producers moved onto other projects and quit watching them.
Again – stick to what’s working and quit when the story has. Scorpion and Buffy both did the same thing of screwing things up after the story was done.
Seeing Lester Dent applied to TV series was an education on its own.
Rejected three series this week that would have run for quite awhile – their characters were intentionally and irreparably flawed. These writers think that all gifted people have to be screwed up somehow. Sure, perfect people are boring – but they don’t have to be main characters, just foils.
Somehow, they owe me over $7K on paper. Don’t know how valid that is. Need to find some time to crunch that out. One of the payments they sent me didn’t show up in their pay records for me. Weird. If they are on schedule, I’ll get something this week. If their numbers are right, this “scandemic” has a bright spot.
Working out that grid in my mind. Which is the biggest area I can find to play in.
Villains for the three main books in the upcoming Hooman Saga series predict what the prequels have to set up. That’s what these fiction stories are – set-ups for their related upcoming series. One more for Book Three, three or four for Book Four, and two more that I know of for Book Five.
Still need to get back to this.
Copyblogger’s founder churned out an article promoting his latest course (which he’s not promoting well.) Here he mentioned that Cialdini had come out with a new addition to his “Influence” list. He had seven in that book, although only numbered six. The seventh was simply a great bargain. So his eighth is (mis-)labeled “Unity”. This compares to “becomingness” in Levenson’s wants, and Napoleon Hill’s “Cosmic Habitforce”.
And it’s the stuff that runs cults and politics – as well as making MLM worthwhile. One big family that people do almost anything to help out each other. Needs more study. A long read with lots of examples.
The Copyblogger course is one that’s not surveyed on me. It had a nice marketing-speak headline – “what works in 2020” – but then goes into a bunch of stuff that doesn’t really matter. Unlike Pulizzi, who discovered basic principles and patterns that can be applied regardless of the particular situation. And that is the difference between these two approaches – one is the perpetually current scene (like Amazon’s continually-shifting algorithms, which aren’t known by anyone – only guessed at). The other is built on natural principles which work as well as you can understand and apply them.
Main scene isn’t dwindling subscribers – which is where the site opt-in’s aren’t ramping up while IF/PW is going down. It’s more that I’m not doing enough outreach to attract the people who really need this material to improve their lives.
IF/PW is a dead end. Because it’s set up that way. There are no services to enroll in besides their giveaways. And the giveaways are mostly crap. Poor covers and struggling writers who haven’t studied their basics.
Again, I need to really improve the valuable opt-in’s via backmatter and site form opt-in’s.
Which goes into expanding and building the courses I have laid out in my mind. This still means wrapping up SOS Intro and onto the writing courses. And meanwhile, keep writing my fiction. All on schedule.
And I”m getting a better idea of what the next challenge will be – but that means starting it now. Doing the research to make it happen this next year. (I usually start 3-4 or 6 months in advance. Goals and so on.)
Last week’s to-do’s:
- Sun: This analysis & emails – Yup
- Republish the books that routinely make me income – target: rest of them. – Nope
- If time permits, or inspiration strikes, write more fiction – yup
- (Or at least publish some PD fiction collection for my followers.) – Yup
- Any “other” time might be in working on arranging courses for producing. (Like the brain-dead evenings.) – Nope
This week’s to-do’s:
- Sun: This analysis & emails
- Write the next short fiction
- Validate that my regular-income paperback books are published
- Publish one each of PD SF and Mysteries
- Any “other” time – produce courses (PMA:SOS Intro)