Some progress on upgrading alpha to beta. Lost a couple of days on farm work (exhausted) and a real-world test of goal-achievement techniques. (Lesson – stay away from ebay – they’ve had to build some intensive anti-scamming systems in place.)
The Great Writing Business Challenge – Week 37 Results
Instafreebie/PW: 68/282 (Actual vs. Reported: 24.1%) 1 non-IF subscribes. 8 no-openers moved off. 143 in 90 day inactive, 1 in 180-day inactive.
Overall Total: 3379 (Continuing slow growth. New giveaways producing new readers. 3 new giveaways started Sept 1 and are producing more than others, right according to strategy.)
Book sales this week:
Oct Monthly sales:
|Source||Pct Tot Income||Units||Pct Tot Units||Royalty/unit|
|Barnes & Noble||3.31%||9||2.88%||$3.24|
Did get the Itunes data for August. Note that none of these distributors have the same titles. Lulu and Kobo have the most, along with Gumroad – but that last is direct sales.
64% of income and 52% of unit sales coming from Lulu, which is mostly non-fiction
Lulu has mostly non-fiction selling, D2D is mostly fiction, Kobo is dragged down in per unit royalties by PD titles selling there. Streetlib is selling mostly one non-fiction title. Gumroad has donations mixed in with book sales.
Again, KDP blew it this month, and isn’t coming close to 50% of my sales. While it has more potential, my best work will be in leveraging non-fiction sales. Still, when I start promotion, it will be to Kobo via BookBub (as covered a couple weeks ago.)
Next Lulu report for Sept – due Oct 15 (along with sales finals for July)
Published Words Fiction:
– free – Own Site: 0, Medium: 0, Wattpad: 0
– paid – Book Outlets: 0, Medium: 0
Published Words Non-Fiction:
– free – Own Site: 3174 this blog, Else: 0 (Medium)
– paid – Book Outlets: 0, Medium: 0
Fiction Books re-published with updates:
- No recent progress – will be addressed by courses above.
Books In Progress:
- “Felicity”, “Sitting Felicity”, “Their Eyes” – a trilogy now.
- “Walkaway Blues” sequel “Walkaway Diner Doubts”
- “The Case of Death’s Demise”.
- “Hermione (5)“
- Books 3, 4 & 5 of Hooman Saga (several above are prequels to this.)
Courses in Progress:
- “Strangest Secret”,
- “Get Everything You Want Out of Life”,
- “If You Can Count to Four…”,
- “Completely Change Your Life in 30 Seconds” – all in alpha (see below).
New Podcast Episodes:
- 0 (Did get a new set burned to hard drive for processing…)
As mentioned, the hot and allergy-boosted air took a lot out of me this week. Took a bunch of stuff to auction to get rid of it in this heat, that took some time out. (And if I weren’t getting paid to drop it here instead of a landfill…) Our cow is drying up, so I took over an hour to find an Amish family who will keep us supplied. The health benefits are too much to pass by.
Own Instafreebie giveaways are producing from 50 to 70 percent other author’s opt-in’s. Exactly the point. Compares to 38/68 (56%) actually making it to my email provider. So the valid subscribers from other’s books are in the same range. Several of these were also linked through back ads.
“Strangest Secret” Course will be set as a freebie on my site, as it will have original Nightingale material. I’ll work up another version for Udemy and Skillshare with the audiobook I had recorded.
Working up the downloads has run into compressed time and formatting issues. So I hope to have these ready tomorrow and uploaded. Then use that to work up the takeaways and action steps for the other two short courses.
Videos for all three after that, and then the mega-course.
Distractions Coming Up
Sure, if I didn’t have to run a farm as well… I’ve set myself to get the bales laid out for the winter, and moving some equipment to sell – where people can come to look at them. So that is likely to take a couple of days toward the end of the week.
Meaning that I’ll be lucky to get to the videos after the downloads are set in place. While I’d like to work on advertising in October, doing the testing on Bookbub, I really need to get the courses in place for this set (including the Mega-course) so that they can be ported to Thinkific and the books updated with coupons in the back of them.
The point is to work with evergreen materials to save both time and money.
Last week’s to-do’s:
- Emails out – blitz (Sun/Mon) – Yup
- Strangest Secret videos created and uploaded – Nope
- Strangest Secret pages with action steps and downloads (to beta) – Nope
This week’s to-do’s:
- Emails out – Blitz (Sun/Mon) –
- Strangest Secret downloads uploaded and linked.
- Other two mini-courses downloads created, uploaded, linked.